Author Topic: Site Downtime  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Grizz

• That old guy
Site Downtime
« on: May 10, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »
As I'm sure many of you noticed, the forums were down for a number of days. This was caused to an attack from an unknown group. Multiple people were involved in the attack, they attempted to gain account info from members on the site. Sadly Spikmun's account was breached and was used to ban members of the community along with remove any ranks that were held by members. So over the period the site went down Me and Janek were hard at work getting the site back into working order, we had to restore databases (so some posts that were made 2-3 days before the attack may not be present on the site anymore) along with that we had to completley remake the groups again from scratch and fix loopholes in the MySQL server.

If we have learnt anything from this attack it is this, make your passwords more complicated and try to stay away from the plain old "1234" passwords. This attack may have stopped us for a few days, but it has only made the site more secure as a result. We'll learn from this attack and make sure nothing like it ever happens again, as a precaution the databases are now set to update daily in order for us to keep all the data that we need.

Welcome back everyone,
Grizz
Off is the general direction in which I would like you to fuck.

Offline Salmonella

• =AV= Leader
Re: Site Downtime
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 04:53:41 PM »
Really strange. Wouldn't be able to think of anyone who would still attack Argonath stuff, let alone clans related to it...

Great to hear you countered it.